- Category: Pest sheets
PALOMILLA TORSO DE DIAMANTE
- It is the main pest in cruciferous crops, being one of the most destructive due to its voracity and being widespread through the entire world thanks to its mobility.
- The main damages are direct, caused by caterpillars causing defoliations, they start gnawing the exterior and then they move towards the inside, they also cause deformations in the heads of the young inflorescence. They also cause serious indirect damages because the fruits affected are rejected due to the fact that the leaves are completely holed and dirty and the larvae and pupas presence inside the hearts.
- The number of generations annually it is really influenced by the climate, it cannot survive the winter, which generates many infestation sprouts caused by the migration of areas where the climate is more benign.
- It was the first insect found to be resistant to DDT, currently it is considered resistant to most insecticides, including the formulated with Bacillus thuringiensis.
- The monitoring by the pheromones use is a key to detect the insect presence, monitor the population level, determining the pest stage and valuate the risk level. Also, it allows tha phytosanitary treatments with insecticides rationalization, by decreasing its frequency and choosing the correct timing to carry out the application. The phytosanitary products must be authorized in accordance with current legislation and must be used in a rational way.
- The mass trapping with traps with pheromones is very effective to manage and reduce the population levels and the pest pressure, keeping it under the tolerance levels. Also by reducing the application of insecticide's products it avoids the generations of insect resistance.