- Category: Pest sheets
ORUGA DEL TOMATE / GUSANO DE LA MAZORCA
- It is a polyphagous pest and can affect some crops such as tomato, cotton, corn, pepper and other ones such as lettuce, strawberry, legume, tobacco and ornamental plants (carnation crop). A same population of this pest can affect different crops simultaneously and even develop a part of the cycle in the spontaneous vegetation.
- The main symptoms of the attack are: perforated fruits and damages in flowers and growing points. When the plant is small the pest can "blind it" as it also affects the apical sprout. The injuries caused by this pest can facilitate the entry of other pathogenies (fungus, bacteria, etc.).
- Its life cycle it is strongly conditioned by temperature. In general, our climate completes 3-4 generations per year, with maximum adult's flights in May, July and September.
- The monitoring by using pheromones is a key to detect the pest presence, supervise the population, determinate the stage and valuating the risk level.
- The pheromones use for the pest detection allows the treatment’s rationalization with insecticides by decreasing the frequency and deciding the correct timing moment. The phytosanitary treatments always must be done with authorized products in accordance with current legislation and in a rational way.