- Category: Pest sheets
OLIVE PYRALIDAE MOTH
ABICHADO DE LA OLIVA
- It mainly affects the olive tree trunk and can even cause the death of young species.
- The insect colonises the trunk by the pruning wounds, machinery... The preventive actions to avoid damages and wounds in trunks have a great importance in the management of this pest.
- The damage symptoms are the ongoing weakness of a branch, or the whole tree, and the presence of sawdust in the cracks of the bark.
- Usually two complete generations appear by year, one from the end of March-April and the second one since the beginning of September.
- The difficulty of its chemical management is due to the fact that the pest develops inside the trunk.
- The monitoring of the pest by pheromones is a key in the timing decision to carry out phytosanitary treatments, always with authorized products in accordance with current legislation and in a rational way.